I had the best idea. I want to make it easy for my lovely friend who will be looking after the place over Christmas. She isn’t a gardener, but is looking forward to spending some relaxing time in the country. The thing is, it will be the height of summer and so the garden will need a lot of water. To make sure her holiday stays relaxing I came up with a plan to run 5 hoses along the length of the garden with sprinklers or soaker hoses connected at each garden bed. It was going to be magnificent. All she would need to do was move the hose connected to the tap along to the next hose connected to the beds. How cool would that be?
So I got one 30 metre hose and ran it along the length of the first row to try it out. I connected a sprinkler between the strawberries and raspberries, one in the corn and one in the rhubarb and artichokes. I put soaker hoses on the potatoes (retrospective irrigation is not the most ideal way to go), and plugged in the existing soaker hose on the cucumbers. Then I ran out of connectors before I hooked up the leafy greens and herbs.
Being the impatient person I am, I decide to give it a whirl and with high expectation of how marvellous it would be, I turned on the tap. I raced back down to the garden to see loads of cascading water and found my system to be lacking. Severely lacking. There was barely a trickle. The pressure just wasn’t up to the job. I was so disappointed.
I disconnected one at a time to see just how many I could use at a time and found the best effort came from two! Only two beds at a time. I have thirty beds! Now I know there is ways and means of irrigating with all the right gear, but I don’t have the time, money, or will to set it up and also my math skills are pretty dodgy at the best of times and I know figuring that out will just cause headaches.
So it is back to the drawing board to come up with something to make life easy for my lovely friend so she has a relaxing holiday in the country.
How I had my zucchini today.
Can you believe it, on my second harvest of Zucchini for the season, I had a marrow! Every year I tell myself I will only harvest little ones. The thing is I did get little ones as well – nine of them! So I am going to attempt to come up a different use for a zucchini every day…
Today I to took the marrow and sliced it thickly – about 5cm and hollowed out the centre with the melon baller tool. Then I took pork mince and mixed it up with garlic, oregano, sage, cider vinegar, olive oil, bread crumbs, an egg and salt and pepper. I stuffed it into the marrows and over the top over them. Then I sprinkled chopped onion around, and poured pureed tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar and olive oil around the marrows and sprinkled cheese on the top and baked it in the oven. Yummo!
Come again soon – it is supposed to be sunny again, I’ll get loads of stuff done.
Sarah the Gardener : o )