Encouraged by comments to re-look at the irrigation but with a smaller hose to increase the pressure, I set about investigating the irrigation bits and bobs that are most commonly available as individual pieces at most hardware stores here. I went on to the company website to look at my options and found a really cool application where I could load in my garden dimensions. So I spent ages drawing my garden beds so it looked about the same as it does in real life.
Next it advised me to find out my water pressure – which was surprisingly easy. All I needed to do was fill up a bucket of a known size. I managed to find an 8 litre bucket that I hadn’t drilled holes in to use as plant pots and turned the tap on full and then timed how long it took to fill the bucket. I took the reading from the hose by the garden as that would be my starting point. It took 27 seconds to fill the bucket, so next time I fill a bucket and it feels like it is taking ages – I will remember that it was only half a minute! I chucked the number into the calculation on the website and found my water pressure at the end of the hose was 16 litres per minute. I don’t know if this is good or bad, but the website encouraged me to continue.
The next stage was choosing the water delivery method and each bed had a range of options that were suitable for it and would provide good coverage – as seen by the blue colour the green beds changed to when you got it right.
The next stage had me dragging hoses across the website in a giant join the dot puzzle – finding the least complicated path. It also wanted to join like with like, so I could only connect the soaker hose beds to other beds with soaker hoses in them. There were had dead ends to navigate when a big red warning came up saying I’d run out of water pressure. Once I was pleased with what I had done I clicked the next button and was greeted with a congratulations you’ve done it, now print off the shopping list and away you go…
Luckily most of the hardware stores have online shopping so I raced over to an irrigation bits and bobs supplier to check the prices out. I was feeling good – excited even.
I began writing the prices in the little boxes on the shopping list and my heart begun to sink. A lot of the items were reasonable priced as an each – but the numbers required on my list were big. It suggested I needed 49 elbows, nearly a hundred sprayers and drippers, and 230 metres of hose. All in all it would have cost over five hundred dollars! I’m supposed to be growing veggies in order to save money!
So with a whole lot of hope and expectation and the better part of an afternoon down the drain. And to rub insult into injury I can’t find the copy of the plan even though I saved it so I can’t show you. In the only photo I have for you today is….
How I had my zucchini today.
Today I sliced them really thin, coated them in olive oil and baked them long and slow so they went all crispy like chips and they were really yummy! Even the Joeyosaurus liked them after being made to try them! I used three so there are still five from yesterday, but picked another two from the garden! This is going to get ridiculous real quick!
Come again soon – the irrigation still requires a solution, but in the meantime the strawberries still need harvesting again. (I made 9 and a half jars of jam yesterday)
Sarah the Gardener : o )