I may have lied at the start of the Make May Count project. Well maybe not lie exactly, just stretched the truth when I said, “the garden is looking tidy and in control”. I had dark areas of shame. Mostly in the Friday sector. It is nowhere near as well tended as the Monday sector. I just seem to lose steam by Friday and because it is the sector that is at the far end of the garden, behind the dome, there is a lot of ‘out of sight, out of mind’ going on. Subsequently the weeds got a bit of a foot hold, although not to the point of being unmanageable.
The other problem with this area was most of my strawberries had died in the spring. I had only gone away for 10 days and I didn’t expect it not to rain in that time, so I didn’t think to ask Hubby the Un-Gardener to water them for me in my absence, along with the seedlings in the greenhouse. The plants never really recovered no matter how much love I gave them over the summer, so I guess I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away feeling the grief of a lost crop. The strawberries are runners of runners of runners from my first foray into gardening when my kids were toddlers and we grew them in a pot at the front door of our city house. Some would say I was emotionally attached to these strawberries.
The good thing is I think enough of them have survived to carry on the legacy, the link to the past. Once I cleared the weeds I found many healthy looking plants. There were also many sickly looking ones that are still trying their best, and others were just dry balls of organic material with no life left in them. As I weeded their bed, and the raspberries, which was just as dire, I came up with a plan.
The strawberries are spread across two 2m x 4m beds with 4m x 1x for each to represent the 1 year old, 2 year old and 3 year old plants. The 2nd half of the 2nd strawberry beds is for currants, although I really don’t want to talk about those either. Seriously this is a grim corner of the garden. So, what I thought I’d do is consolidate the Strawberries into one bed with the three age group separated by its width not the length. There will be less strawberries, but it will be easier to look after and considering I didn’t get hardly any this season there is always hope for better.
In the 2nd bed where the strawberries will be evicted from, I will put the raspberries. This will give them a better home as I think where they are the soil is just too sandy. They should be easier to look after in their new home too and maybe I’ll actually get a taste of these too.
I feel better now I have a plan. I just need to wait for the rain to come again. We seem to get a decent rainfall and then nothing. By the time it rains again, the soil has dried right out. If I’m about to relocate multiple plants I want them to be settled in with lovely moist soil and continue to remain moist from the regular application of rain.
I also weeded the pumpkin beds and a flower bed and gave the entire Friday sector a jolly good hoe to keep the weeds out of the paths. To be honest the main reason for this weedy outburst is once again the power company was replacing the poles and switched us off again. I think, judging by my productivity they should do it more often. Actually no, it is a bit of a pain to be without power, so I’ll just have to find other ways to motivate myself.
Come again soon – the new area for relaxing with friends is starting to take shape.
Sarah the Gardener : o)